Somos Americanos by Sergio Gomez

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Journal Prompt #11

"Write about a norm or ideal pertaining to physical appearance in the culture in which you belong. Do you conform or attempt to conform to this norm or ideal? Why? Are you at all familiar with the way this norm or ideal is perceived in cultures outside of your own? How is it different? Has your physical appearance ever been interpreted differently by a member of another culture or group than it is perceived in your own culture?"



I think a norm becomes a norm through the most popularized consistency a culture has. In the Mexican culture for instance, there is the traditional look that is rather outdated but is identifiable enough to be labeled as "Mexican. This look mostly persists of hair up and in ribbons, along with a flowy, flowery dress. Of course if one goes to Mexico, most of the attire will appear quite similar to American wear. Stereotypical features include dark skin, hair and eyes, small eyes, a round nose and most likely a short stature.

I don't believe that I conform to this ideal, mostly because not only is it outdated in Mexico, but I also live in Southern California. I think that for some cultures outside my own, a lot of the beauty hailed from Mexico is praised, yet I know that many are also threatened by anything different than their norm. It's different when a society views people as something less than human beings simply because they look different or have different customs. It's funny how much two prideful men have in common who derive from two completely different places; there's the patriotic American man and the prideful Mexican man that actually have plenty in common if they took their skin off and spoke the same language.

My physical appearance get completely interpreted differently by many groups of people, and it's strange how it doesn't even vary from culture to culture as much as it varies from household to household. There are general interpretations though, or at least perceptions I have of interpretations I've made. In Mexico, for instance, I've never felt like I've fit in when I've visited. I'm not tall, but I'm definitely not as short as most of the women there. My nose is long and slender, as opposed to their round one, and my eyes are a bit bigger. I've felt like a foreigner there, as well as the east side of the United States (which is quite a whole other story). In these places, along with some parts of California, I just felt like my appearance was the only level they wanted to associate me with, as if there were no other depths to my character besides my physical features. On the other hand, in places such as Southern California, where there is a true melting pot of varying backgrounds, I feel accepted and at home. Italy is also a place where I didn't feel as if I was being prejudged based on my physical appearance, especially regarding the fact that they love to tan like there's no tomorrow and woman's noses feel closer to my nose's kin like no other noses do! It seems silly, but it is nice to be among people who appreciate the individual instead of a stereotype, even if that stereotype to that particular culture is a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment