Somos Americanos by Sergio Gomez

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Identity Journal Prompt #1

What cultural forces have shaped it?
  • My identity has been shaped by both my family and their traditions as well as by the American influence around me. My family is Mexican, and although I believe we are not the stereotypical "culturally" Mexican family, we definitely differ from American families I've been around my whole life. There's the part of me that has been shaped by enchiladas, mariachi, and novelas, and the rest by hot dogs, MTV, and sitcoms.
With what group or groups do you identify? Why?
  • I tend to identify with two kinds of groups. The Latinos whom, like me, also speak English and have Latino roots, and with most American people.
What about your identity are you most proud of?
  • I'm really proud of the fact that I did grow up with both cultures, because it has allowed me to be all the more connected with both. My mind is open to approaching different types of people which in turn makes me more accepting; I am thankful for that.
Is there any part of your identity that makes you uncomfortable? Why?
  • The only time that I may get uncomfortable about my identity is when I'm among people who aren't as accepting. That could mean Mexican people who are very excluding, or Americans who aren't as accepting to other cultures besides "white" American.

No comments:

Post a Comment